I still have not decided whether this u movie is simply overrated or bad. I went in expecting a great movie. Instead I got overacting drama, less than funny writing, and a movie that takes itself way to serious at the wrong times.
David O'Russell you are no Scorsese.... So here is what I wrote on Facebook the day after I saw the film... This should have been another great classic. After talking to dozens of folks, including fellow actors, this movie is going to die away after award season....
Great acting is a series of choices. Great film directing is showing the the results of those choices. Film students like to get artsy fartsy and show those choices. Film makers learned long ago that does not work.
Just to be clear, individual performances in this movie were amazing.... But the film should be thrown in the toilet, get the cast together and do this on Broadway. Or re edit without director's head up his ass.... I get so angry when great talent is poorly served by ego directors... Especially when that director feels the need to put down Hunger Games.... Sorry David, this maybe one of the few site call your steaming pile of crap as I see it, but the chatter outside of the kiss ass crowd of reviewers is on my side here....
Most times I would give this a higher rating but because of the extreme overrating of this movie, I am over compensating the other way....
American Hustle is a 2013 American crimecomedy-drama film directed by David O. Russell, from a screenplay written by Eric Warren Singer and Russell, loosely based on the FBI ABSCAM operation of the late 1970s and early '80s. It stars Christian Bale andAmy Adams as two con artists who are forced by an FBI agent (Bradley Cooper) to set up an elaborate sting operation on corrupt politicians, including the mayor ofCamden, New Jersey (Jeremy Renner).Jennifer Lawrence plays the unpredictable wife of Bale's character.
Principal photography on American Hustlebegan on March 8, 2013 in Boston andWorcester, Massachusetts, and New York City. The film had its nationwide release in the United States on December 20, 2013.The film received critical acclaim and has been a box office success. It received tenAcademy Award nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay, and became the second film since 1981 to be nominated in the four acting categories, the first being Silver Linings Playbook, also directed by Russell and also starring Cooper and Lawrence. American Hustle won three Golden Globe Awards, theScreen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Pictureand three BAFTA Awards, among other achievements.
- Christian Bale as Irving Rosenfeld (based on Melvin Weinberg)
- Bradley Cooper as FBI Agent Richard "Richie" DiMaso (based on Anthony Amoroso, Jr.)
- Amy Adams as Sydney Prosser / Lady Edith Greensly (based on Evelyn Knight)
- Jeremy Renner as Mayor Carmine Polito (based on Angelo Errichetti)
- Jennifer Lawrence as Rosalyn Rosenfeld (based on Cynthia Marie Weinberg)
- Louis C.K. as Stoddard Thorsen
- Jack Huston as Pete Musane
- Saïd Taghmaoui as Irving's Sheikh Plant
- Michael Peña as Paco Hernandez / Sheikh Abdullah
- Shea Whigham as Carl Elway
- Erica McDermott as Carl Elway's Assistant/Addie Abrams
- Alessandro Nivola as Anthony Amado
- Elisabeth Röhm as Dolly Polito (based on Dolores "Dodie" Errichetti)
- Colleen Camp as Brenda
- Paul Herman as Alfonse Simone
- Anthony Zerbe as a US Senator from New Jersey (based on US Senator Harrison A. "Pete" Williams)
- Robert De Niro (uncredited) as Victor Tellegio (based on mobster Vincent Alo)