Friday, April 4, 2014

SADD PSA + Adultery PSA + 1% Sucks + But you gotta have hope = The Great Gatsby The Movie

Forget my overly simplified summary, as i actually enjoyed this movie. however I fear most will miss the true message of hope. Hope that made Gatsby become a criminal to get close to the one true love.


I have a love hate with Baz Lerman. He is the Zefferilli of our time. A man who invented - at least for modern times - the over production craze on stage and film. But too often I feel story is lost amid lavish sets and costumes.  Zefferilli's one saving grace? He himself said "I would give my right arm to be a tenor" - So being a sing - a tenor - I have to give him some props.

Who am I kidding? I love the work of both these two. Just at times they do take things too far.

HOWEVER, all that being said... Baz Lerman made a Great Gatsby that just might get young Americans excited about a true America Classic. A book that is more a lavish painting with words than story anyway.

And the cheese factor associated with a Baz Lerman production is best suited to the Roaring 20s.

And I love the gate way of Queens - a hellish coal mine the rich and powerful have to pass through to get to "Town". A foreshadow of the Great Depression, perhaps. Not too different form how some still must think of Queens today, except now they have high speed boats and helicopters, so they no longer have to slum it on the roads and trains with the rest of us.

I watched this when I had nothing to do, ill with a stomach virus and wanted to hate this movie. but alas, Old Sport, I did not!

I suppose when done well, hyperbole is not horrible...




Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway
Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby
Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan
Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan
Elizabeth Debicki as Jordan Baker
Isla Fisher as Myrtle Wilson
Jason Clarke as George Wilson
Amitabh Bachchan as Meyer Wolfshiem
Jack Thompson as Dr. Walter Perkins
Adelaide Clemens as Catherine
Richard Carter as Herzog
Max Cullen as Owl Eyes
Heather Mitchell as Daisy's mother
Gus Murray as Teddy Barton
Steve Bisley as Dan Cody
Vince Colosimo as Michaelis
Felix Williamson as Henri
Kate Mulvany as Mrs. Mckee
Eden Falk as Mr. Mckee
iOTA as Trimalchio

No comments:

Post a Comment